After extensive deliberations on the recent misunderstanding which rocked SWAN over nominations for the AIPS Executive Committee Elections, the National Executive Committee (NEC) resolved as follows:
1. That the misunderstanding over the issue and subsequent reactions were uncalled for, as the President, Mr. Honour Sirawoo, did not act unilaterally on the issue having followed provisions of SWAN’s statutes.
2. To reaffirm NEC’s support and confidence in the President.
3. To thank all stakeholders who intervened or showed concern during the misunderstanding.
4. That since no one officially applied to SWAN for nomination for the AIPS Elections as demanded, NEC is ready to in the event of an extension of deadline for nominations for the AIPS Africa Elections once again call for nominations. Consequently, any eligible SWAN member would be expected to apply through the official channel to be provided by SWAN.
5. NEC urges members of SWAN across the country to participate in the ongoing membership revalidation exercise and ensure that their membership status is up to date.
6. NEC warns all state chapters and zonal offices to refrain from issuing unwarranted statements on issues of national scope, as it is the prerogative of only the NEC to do so.
7. NEC strongly cautions the chairman of SWAN, Lagos Chapter, Mr. Fred Edoreh and others who acted outside the statutes, thereby fanning the embers of misunderstanding in the association, to desist from such acts henceforth.
Signed by the Communiqué Drafting Committee
Alh. Abubakar Sadiq Moyoyo (VP North-East) – Chairman
Jude Opara (Zonal Secretary, North-Central) – Secretary
Eddie Bekom (VP, South-South) – Member
Gabriel Nwanetanya (COS) – Member